In this episode of Add To Cart, we are joined by Yasmin Grigaliunas, CEO & Co-Founder of the World’s Biggest Garage Sale.
Yas has been leading the secondhand market in Australia through her innovative approach to reusing and recycling dormant goods. Starting as a charity, World’s Biggest Garage Sale has evolved into an investable business model with purpose and giving at its core.
Questions answered in the podcast include:
- How big is the secondhand market going to grow globally?
- What does a secondhand business model look like?
- How can retailers start or partner to offer secondhand goods to customers?
- Which retailers are excelling in the secondhand economy?
We joked about Yas writing the secondhand dictionary. Here are some key terms Yas refers to:
- Circular economy. Embracing the whole lifestyle of a product from new to near-new to secondhand to recyclable.
- Dormant goods. Goods that are no longer in use but are not yet at the point of donation.
- Resource recovery. Acquiring goods that are no longer needed – often at your own expense.
- Re-commerce platform. A sales channel, online or offline, to get secondhand goods in the hands of customers.
- CANsulting. Solving corporate problems, often for the greater good of society.